Logansport put together a dominant second half in a win at Anderson on Friday night.

The Berries rolled to a 38-8 win over the Indians for their first North Central Conference win of the season.

The Berries improved to 3-6 overall and 1-5 in the NCC and snapped the Indians’ (2-7, 2-5) two-game win streak.

“How ’bout those Berries,” Logan coach Mike Johnson told WSAL in a postgame interview. “Injuries, all kinds of things, they gutted it out, they played really well, played tough I thought. They played tough. We weren’t perfect by any means, but I’m really proud of them.

“This Anderson team beat Tech and beat Richmond the last two weeks. We lost to Tech and Richmond, we flip that, we’re 5-4. So we try to tell them, we’re right there. We just have to believe and keep fighting and keep practicing. But we’re excited. We got our first conference win on the road. It was nice to see us play some good defense and keep us in it. We turned the ball over too much the first half and too many penalties.”

The Berries fumbled the ball away on their first two possessions. On their third possession they were forced to punt, but Izak Mock pinned the Indians back on their own 6-yard line with a good punt.

This time the Indians fumbled, and sophomore defensive lineman Tristan Kitchel recovered it in the end zone for a touchdown. Gavin Barron ran in the 2-point conversion to make it 8-0 with 10:24 left in the second quarter.

The Berries got a big goal line stand at the end of the first half. The Indians faced a second-and-goal from the 4 with 53 seconds left when Skylar Trujillo came up with an interception in the end zone. Logan took 8-0 lead into halftime.

The Berries forced a quick punt out of halftime and quickly drove down the field for a score, capped by a 14-yard touchdown run by Gavin Barron. His 2-point run made it 16-0.

Shamari Gittings then came up with an interception to give the Berries the ball back. Soon after Gavin Barron took the ball 45 yards to the house and again scored a 2-pointer to make it 24-0 with 4:55 left in the third.

The Berries came up with a second goal line stand of the game late in the third quarter. But they were forced to punt on their ensuing possession and their defense made their one big mistake of the night, allowing a 75-yard touchdown pass from Conner Stephenson to Curtis Lewis. The 2-point pass made it 24-8 with 4:57 left.

But the Berries answered with a scoring drive of their own, capped by an 8-yard TD run by John Scott to make it 30-8 with 1:31 to go.

Garrett Barron then made a play from his defensive end position, stripping a ball carrier of the ball, and Trujillo scooped it up and ran it 62 yards to the house with 42 seconds left. Gavin Barron’s 2-point run made it 38-8.

Gavin Barron rushed for 134 yards on 14 carries to lead the Berries. Alberto Matias rushed for 86 yards on 14 carries. Luis Ortiz ran for 30 yards on four attempts before he left with a leg injury in the first half. Scott added 26 yards on four attempts.

The Berry defense might have had its best effort of the season. Outside of the 75-yard TD pass, Stephenson was 11 of 19 passing for 88 yards and two interceptions. Grayson Long, Peter Jhon Charles and Quentin Clark each had a sack in the win.

Logan also shut down Anderson’s running game, holding the Indians to 46 yards on 17 attempts.

The Berries travel to South Bend Riley (3-6) on Friday for a Class 4A sectional game.

React to this story:


Recommended for you