Military investigators are searching for clues in the death of an Air Force reservist found dead in a hotel room at Sheppard Air Force Base in Texas.

Senior Airman Blanca A. Luna had been assigned to the 434th Air Refueling Wing at the Grissom Air Reserve Base, but she was in Texas for training in heating and air conditioning. Her death on Friday came just three days before she was scheduled to graduate.

Luna, a member of the 434th Civil Engineering Squadron, and had been at Sheppard since September. She was a Chicago resident.

At 8:50 a.m. on Friday, base officials discovered Luna unresponsive and with injuries consistent with a stab wound, according to a press release from the 434th Air Refueling Wing. Luna was immediately taken to United Regional Hospital in Wichita Falls and was pronounced dead at 9:35 a.m.

The Air Force Office of Special Investigations and the 82nd Security Forces Squadron are investigating, but no arrests have been made, George Woodward, public affairs director at Sheppard Air Force Base, said Monday.

Woodward said an autopsy was conducted on Saturday and investigators were awaiting additional information.

“They are not sure when the report will be completed,” he said. “There has been no change in the status of the investigation.”

Woodward said the hotel room where Luna was found was within the secured perimeter of the base. He said a person entering would either have to have an identification card or be accompanied by a person with an identification card.

Luna had been attending the heating, ventilation and air conditioning initial skills course with the 366th Training Squadron. Sheppard, the largest technical training operation in the Air Force, has about 5,000 students on base at any given time.

Luna had been part of the 434rd Civil Engineer Squadron at Grissom since February 2007.

“We are saddened by the loss of Airman Luna,” said Brig. Gen. Dean Despinoy, commander of the 434th Air Reserve Wing. “Even though she had only been with the wing for a short time, she was a part of the Grissom family. The men and women of the 434th ARW extend their sympathies and prayers to the family and friends of Airman Luna.”

Luna served with the U.S. Marines from December 1997 through July 2002, according to Tech Sgt. Doug Hayes with Grissom public affairs office. He said her last active duty assignment with the Marines had been in Okinawa.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you