For those who sustained property damage from Friday’s rainstorm, relief might be available from state government.

To receive assistance for repairing storm damage that occurred over the weekend, property owners must file a report with the Cass County Emergency Management Agency. According to Director Alvin Beckman, if the total estimated cost of repairing the damage exceeds $1 million countywide, the Indiana Department of Homeland Security will declare a local disaster area and tap into relief money.

“What I would like people to do is that if they suffered any water damage from the storm to compile a list for me of what property was damaged,” Beckman said.

If flooding damaged a house, a garage, a vehicle and/or any of their contents, Beckman wants to know about it. As of Tuesday evening, he was not sure whether the county would have enough for a local declaration, but to determine that for sure, he needs help from the public.

The only damage that counts is from the storms that rolled through the area on Friday night and Saturday morning and the subsequent flooding that continues to linger in some places.

The official amount of rainfall in Cass County topped three inches in less than two hours.

Beckman wants property owners to report even minor damage and damage already turned into insurance companies.

“Every little bit is going to help,” he said.

Beckman said he would be able to count the thousands of dollars in damage sustained at the McHale Performing Arts Center.

The requested information should include a name, address, list of damages and estimated cost to repair them. No special form is needed. The deadline for getting the information to the state is May 29.

• Kevin Lilly is news editor of the Pharos-Tribune. He can be reached at (574) 732-5117 or

Have damage?

• Any property owner in Cass County who sustained damage due to last weekend’s storm, is encouraged to report it to the emergency management agency by either sending an e-mail to, faxing the information to (574) 722-9213 or dropping by the office at 1227 N. State Road 17. To report storm damage to the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, call (866) 210-1925 or visit

React to this story:


Recommended for you