ROYAL CENTER -- A local couple is safe after their home on the Cass-White county line caught fire Tuesday night.
The back side of the two-story house, located in the 5900 block of North 1100 West, was "fully involved" when firefighters arrived on scene just before 9 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 28, Royal Center Volunteer Fire Department Chief Ed Schroder said on scene.
Schroder said heavy flames on the south and southeast corners of the home made it difficult for firefighters to make an initial attack inside.
"So we had to come out, knock it down from the outside and then go back inside," he said.
The fire didn't spread to much of the first and second floors, Schroder said, as it was contained to the attic and garage. But about a quarter of home's roof collapsed, he added.
Homeowners Guy and Julia Poore were downstairs watching television when they heard a loud noise upstairs, Brook Crist said. Crist, the daughter of Guy Poore, said Julia Poore went upstairs to check out the noise and then ran back down after realizing the house was on fire. Neighbors were the first on scene, Crist added. Some told her they heard an explosion and ran over to the house.
"They're both safe, and we just praise Lord for that," Crist said.
Crist said her father and stepmother also had cats in the home. They still hadn't found all of the animals late Tuesday night. The Poores have lived in the house for several years.
Crews had to use multiple tankers to bring "a significant amount" of water to the scene, Schroder said. At about 10:15 p.m., he said firefighters were trying to tackle any lingering hotspots.
Buffalo-Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department, Logansport Fire Department, Cass County Fire District 1, Cass County Sheriff's Department, Indiana State Police, Cass County Emergency Management Agency, Red Cross and Indiana Department of Natural Resources all assisted on scene.