Residents of an upstairs apartment thought they had extinguished a small fire, but embers had blown into a vent, later causing a structure fire at 104 Wheatland Ave.
“They didn’t know the embers had made it into the vent at the time,” said Logansport Fire Investigator Rusty Logan.
But at approximately 3:12 a.m. Saturday, firefighters were called to the scene. The fire extended to both apartments. None of the occupants – two residents upstairs and one downstairs – were injured.
Firefighters were on the property for 1½ hours and the damage was minor, said Logan, adding that the insurance company for the residence will be conducting its own investigation in order to determine whether the occupants can return home today.
The Logansport Police Department also responded to the call.