By KEVIN LILLY
Pharos-Tribune staff writer
A short in electrical wiring in an attic is the cause of a house fire Sunday in the 600 block of North Street that left residents of the apartment complex without a home.
Wiring, located near a window in the attic, shorted out because of an overload, according to a report at the Logansport Fire Department. Wood near the window and the wiring itself caught fire.
Logansport Fire Investigator Ted Franklin said the wiring overheated due to three air-conditioning window units running at the same time.
Damage is estimated at $15,000. Franklin said all the fire damage was contained in the attic. The downstairs suffered smoke and water damage.
When Logansport firefighters arrived on the scene, light smoke was seen coming from the top portion of the house.
The Logansport Fire Department received the call at 6:27 p.m. and remained at the scene until 7:40 p.m.
The property at 630 North St. is owned by Downhour Investments, 1108 High St.
The local chapter of the Red Cross assisted with finding shelter for the displaced residents.
By KEVIN LILLY
React to this story:
- Logansport man arrested for drugs, allegedly attacking woman
- Two men charged with meth-related crimes
- Pioneer to begin Life Skills Program, hire new staff
- Construction of new school to begin this summer
- Police, fire departments report busy March
- Logan school board enters contract with substitute teacher service
- Pearson headlines All-Loganland boys basketball team
- Logansport HS baseball coaching legends to speak at event
- Two Cass men arrested in conjunction with Starke County burglary
- Community input needed for Lewis Cass's $15 million project
Support local journalism
We are making critical coverage of the coronavirus available for free.
Please consider subscribing so we can continue to bring you the latest news and information on this developing story.
Ellison, James D. “Jim,” 86 Logansport, a Memorial Service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, April 23, in the Crooked Creek Christian Church with Pastor Jeff Allen officiating. Inurnment, with full military honors will follow in the Crooked Creek Christian Cemetery. Arrangements have been entr…