1070HouseNorthSt

Logansport firefighters start packing equipment after extinguishing a fire at an apartment complex at 630 North St. (Arnold Ernest/Pharos-Tribune)

By KEVIN LILLY

Pharos-Tribune staff writer

A short in electrical wiring in an attic is the cause of a house fire Sunday in the 600 block of North Street that left residents of the apartment complex without a home.

Wiring, located near a window in the attic, shorted out because of an overload, according to a report at the Logansport Fire Department. Wood near the window and the wiring itself caught fire.

Logansport Fire Investigator Ted Franklin said the wiring overheated due to three air-conditioning window units running at the same time.

Damage is estimated at $15,000. Franklin said all the fire damage was contained in the attic. The downstairs suffered smoke and water damage.

When Logansport firefighters arrived on the scene, light smoke was seen coming from the top portion of the house.

The Logansport Fire Department received the call at 6:27 p.m. and remained at the scene until 7:40 p.m.

The property at 630 North St. is owned by Downhour Investments, 1108 High St.

The local chapter of the Red Cross assisted with finding shelter for the displaced residents.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Trending Video

Recommended for you