Monon firefighter Trey Cobb was taken to IU White Memorial Hospital Monday morning after dislocating his shoulder during a Monday morning fire.
The fire started sometime before 9:42 a.m., which is when a neighbor to the residence at 3756 E. Polk Loop called the White County 911 center.
The double wide manufactured home was north of Monticello and east of Monon.
White County Sheriff’s deputies were the first to arrive at 9:49 a.m. and reported flames were going through the roof, according to a press release from Monticello Fire Department Division Chief Robert Hickman.
When the Monticello Fire Department’s Engine 2 arrived at 9:54 a.m., firefighters found “a fully involved attic fire,” Hickman stated.
A Monticello Fire Department investigator determined the fire started in the kitchen, above the microwave.
The firefighters are still investigating what the ignition source was.
No one was home when the fire started, and the two dogs inside were able to get out, one suffering burns and smoke inhalation.
Firefighters also rescued an iguana in an aquarium tank.
Three fire departments fought the fire, Buffalo Engine 1 arriving at 9:57 a.m. and Monon arriving at 10 a.m.
Buffalo had one tanker and Monon had two, but as the firefighters fought to control the blaze, “the fire quickly spread to an adjacent utility pole,” Hickman stated.
This caused a live power line to drop to the ground and actively arc.
Linesmen for the Carroll/White REMC were able to quickly de-energize the line.
The fire destroyed the attic, and the home had heavy water damage
The Buffalo and Monticello fire departments left the fire scene at 11:55 a.m.
The Monon Fire Department remained on scene until 2:10 for overhaul.
The fire was in the Monon department’s jurisdiction, and the others came by a mutual aid call.
The Monon Police Department and Monon First Response team also came and assisted.