Furnace fire

A Logansport fireman prepares to pack away the hose after a basement fire in a furnace in the 100 block of Ottawa Street Saturday afternoon. The house did sustain some minimal smoke damage, but the fire was contained to the furnace.

A gas furnace in the basement of a northern Logansport home filled a residence with smoke Saturday afternoon. 

Logansport Fire Department responded to a house in the 100 block of West Ottawa street at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday, March 28. The resident of the home, Guy Crawford, who made it out safely, said he heard his basement furnace "winding."

"It made a real strange noise," he said. 

Crawford went downstairs to check out the noise and said he removed the furnace's filter and then it started smoking. The smoke filled the house, even coming out of a second-story window.

Assistant Fire Chief Bernie Mittica said the gas furnace completely burned and is a total loss. However, he said there wasn't any fire damage inside the home, and since the house already had windows open, the smoke quickly left.

Logansport Fire Department, Logansport Police Department and Prompt Ambulance Services responded to the fire.

Reach Ben Middelkamp at 574-732-5117 or ben.middelkamp@pharostribune.com

Reach Ben Middelkamp at 574-732-5117 or ben.middelkamp@pharostribune.com

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Trending Video

Ben Middelkamp is a staff reporter at the Pharos-Tribune. He covers local education news as well as weekend events. He can be reached at ben.middelkamp@pharostribune.com or by phone at 574-732-5117.

Recommended for you