Each day for 100 days, we will publish a picture of something that reminds us of our county with a short explanation about why this object speaks to who we are and where we live.

A 22-foot-tall Felix is the prominent centerpiece of the new Berry Bowl floor. To understand the scale of the character, note the piece of letter-sized paper laying at the bottom right. Felix is the oldest high school mascot in Indiana, becoming the symbol for LHS sports in 1926. A stuffed F…

The J.S. Bursley & Co. warehouse on 18th and Jefferson Streets was built in 1949, becoming the third home of the cash and carry wholesale grocery store that operated in Logansport starting around 1930.

Each summer, kids of all ages flock to the 4-H fairgrounds to enjoy rides, food, merchant booths and competition among 4-Hers.

The Berry Bowl and other sports facilities at area schools will be empty for the next three weeks as extra curricular activities have also been suspended. Kevin Burkett | Pharos-Tribune

If you’re a Hooiser, it’s an elephant ear. Not a scone, or a funnel cake, or a pizza fritte — or the utterly unappetizing term fried dough!

The end of summer means the beginning of high school football season through the U.S. But it’s at Pioneer High School that fans may be the most hardcore and proud of their team.

For decades, the mostly par 3 golf course behind Myers Sports Bowl was simply known as Par 3 to locals. The 18-hole course, designed by Glen Peeples, opened in 1965 as Rolling Hills. Now, Logan’s Run Family Golf Course has another unique feature — it’s home to nine acres of vineyards that wi…

In most towns, fireworks are the highlight of Fourth of July festivities. But in Twelve Mile — at least since 1963 — it’s the Twelve Mile 500.

Everyone knows that farming is a big part of life in Cass County. According the 2012 USDA Census of Agriculture, there were 688 farms in Cass County with an average size of 291 acres. That’s 200,257 acres of farmland — or about 76 percent of the land in Cass County.

In a field just south of Hoover, thousands of sunflowers brighten the landscape, surrounded by corn and soybean crops in September 2017.

The cross-town rivalry between the Columbia Middle School Vikings and the Lincoln Middle School Railsplitters is now a thing of the past.

A family begins loading animals into the Cass County 4-H Fairgrounds in this 2018 file photo.

Cass County is home to numerous beautiful birds — bald eagles, woodpeckers, cardinals, red-tailed hawks, blue jays, peregrine falcons, ospreys, sandhill cranes and more. But anyone who gazes out over the Wabash and Eel Rivers on a daily basis is just about guaranteed to find a great blue her…

For decades, the Christmas season in downtown Logansport has been ushered in with the seasonal decorations being installed on the City Building, bringing a warm and festive feel to the heart of the city.

In 2017, the Indiana Transportation Museum ran its Christmas train excursions, dubbed the Polar Bear Express, along a route from Logansport to Kokomo. A handful of those rides originated in nearby Anoka, and locals flocked to get on board.

One last, busy night at B&K West is a sure sign that fall is approaching, as fans of the popular root beer stand grab their last meal of the season and stock up on special Spanish sauce for the coming off-season.

Shaded by a tree for which it’s named, Sycamore Drive-In has been a local favorite since it opened in 1948. The original sycamore tree at 316 20th St. was cut down after it died in 1996. A new sycamore was planted in its place. For longtime Logansport residents, the drive-in will always be c…

In recent years, Logansport’s Fourth of July fireworks display has taken place at Riverside Park. The view from Cole Bridge is breathtaking — though civilians generally are not allowed to view them from this vantage point without special permission.

Nearly extinct just a generation ago, the bald eagle was removed from Indiana’s list of species deemed endangered or of special concern.

In August 2017, Mollie Graybeal started to spray-paint works of art in the alley behind her and her family’s furniture business, The Gray Mill, in downtown Logansport. Her work caught the attention of other local property owners who want her to brighten their buildings too. Graybeal is motiv…

Jim Galbreath’s design for the sculpture inside Memorial Hospital’s new cancer treatment center echoes a depiction of the atom, representing the scientific research involved in cancer treatment. It’s Galbreath’s third commissioned work — he’s known for having created the statue “The Dancers”…

In October 2017, the Lewis Cass Marching Kings made history, placing first in their class at the Bands of America Super Regional Championship. Sixty-eight marching bands from the East Coast to Oklahoma — some of the best bands in the nation — competed in four classes at the two-day event at …

Whether it’s at Spencer Park or Dykeman Park Golf Course, for generations, a snow day off from school has meant a day of family fun sledding. In the winter of 2017, the Campos and Bailey families took to the hill at Spencer Park on one such snow day. Sleds were originally developed as a prim…

The ReVere Motor Car Corp., located at 417 First St., produced its first chassis on Aug. 25, 1917. By 1919, the first production ReVere was delivered. Three styles were produced including a two-seat roadster, a four-passenger sport and a six-passenger touring car. Advertisements referred to …

Gustav Dentzel built carousels in Philadelphia during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Cass County carousel is one of three complete, stationary Dentzel carousels in the country. Around the turn of the 20th century, the Fort Wayne Consolidated Railway Company opened Robinson Park …

It’s where many of us still go in person to pay our electric bills at the LMU service counter. But few folks likely make it far enough inside the City Building at Sixth and Market streets to notice the enormous stained glass skylight. At nearly 40 feet across, it can best be seen from the la…

In 1914, the pipe organ was installed in St. Joseph Church in Logansport. The organ was used until the 1950s when a modern electronic organ replaced it. The old organ stood dormant and deteriorated for years. Then, in 1985, when Logansport’s Catholic parishes were consolidated to become All …

In the early 1900s, the railroads transformed Logansport from a small town dotted with mills and small shops into a major center of commerce. At one time, as many as nine companies operated railroads that came through town, connecting Logansport to large cities in the Midwest, on both coasts…

On the west side of Eel River Avenue from Market to Third streets, Bankers Row Historic District is a stretch of stately residences built by the city’s early financial leaders between about 1875 and 1925. The stretch of homes includes notable examples of Queen Anne and Italianate architecture.

In 2017, the inaugural Christmas in the Park light show at Spencer Park raised more than $13,000, according to city officials.

On June 29, 2012, “The Dancers” sculpture on Market Street between Third and Fourth streets was unveiled. It was the first piece of commissioned public art in Logansport, funded by the “Dancing With Our Stars” fundraising event.

The building that now serves as headquarters for Logan’s Landing was never actually a functioning depot. Originally, it was a yard office building for the Vandalia Railroad. However, the late 19th century Queen Anne-style building does stand on the former site of the Pennsylvania Depot, whic…

Little Turtle Waterway Trail was completed in 2016 with the addition of the section between 12th and 18th streets. The trail now winds along the wooded north bank of the Wabash River from the confluence with the Eel River to 18th Street Bridge.

While its exterior has remained virtually the same since it opened in 1940, inside, the State Theatre has been transformed from a movie house into a mixed use venue that now specializes in live concerts like this 2016 performance by Pink Floyd tribute band Pink Droyd.

Though it’s been shuttered since early 2016, the old power plant along the Eel River south of Riverside Park still commands attention as one of Logansport’s most iconic structures.

On Aug. 10, 1829, the Cass County commissioners selected Logansport as the county seat and began planning for a new courthouse to be set on a plot near the center of town.

Tipton Lodge No. 33 F&AM was organized in Logansport on Aug. 25, 1828. Its majestic building at Fourth and North streets was dedicated in 1896 and served as the home for Tipton Lodge until 1998 when, citing the expense of maintaining the building, the lodge sold it for one dollar to Four…

Milt and Jean Cole bought Cole Hardwood, formerly John I. Shafer Lumber Co., in 1986.

Amelio’s opened in 1871 and is among only a handful of downtown businesses that have survived from 19th century. The building at the corner of Fifth Street and Melbourne Avenue survived the Great Flood of 1913 and has a bronze plaque next to the main entrance noting the high-water mark of th…

If you drive past Dykeman Golf Course on Royal Center Pike and spot a giant bear standing between holes 7 and 8, don’t be alarmed! It’s the work of Marion artist Scott Brown, who carved the beautiful piece out of the remains of an old willow tree. Randy Cole commissioned the piece about thre…

On 100 North, just west of U.S. 35, you’ll find Devil’s Dip — a steep valley where the roadway drops suddenly, then rises again as you approach Shiloh Christian Church. For generations, the route has attracted midnight visitors on the way to visit the old cemetery on the church grounds, whic…

Founded July 1, 1888 as the Northern Indiana Hospital for the Insane, Logansport State Hospital is Indiana’s oldest operating psychiatric hospital.

After mowing the dew-covered grass in his yard, blacksmith Jack Brubaker found inspiration for the construction of the 16-foot-tall orange sculpture on display in Stonewall Park.

France Park is filled with earthen landmarks that double as historical sites. The Wabash and Erie Canal ran straight through what’s now France Park from 1840 to 1875 and transported stone mined by France Stone Co. in Kenneth Quarry, where the park’s swimming area and scuba diving lake are now.

The shade on the light above the front door that welcomes guests of Logansport’s Shrine Club is a recreation of the iconic fez hats worn by its members.

A faded stone marker at the corner of Bates and Plum streets, just outside the fence around the playground at Franklin Elementary School, commemorates a Civil War military encampment that once used the grounds. The marker reads: “40 Indiana Vol. Inft. organized and camped here from October t…

The first public service in the building that has come to be known as the Baptist Temple (likely because of its Grecian-style architecture) was on Sunday, May 19, 1912 with a congregation of 1,200 in attendance.

With a generous gift from local attorney Frank M. McHale — $200,000 for architectural work, $1 million for the construction of the auditorium and an additional $2 million endowment for its continued upkeep — McHale Auditorium was completed in 1976. The combined $3.2 million gift is worth abo…

A staple of summertime entertainment for decades, the Skyline Drive-In theater closed after the summer of 2013, becoming a victim of several converging issues — changing viewing habits, the introduction of Daylight Saving Time (which pushed back possible start times later in the evening) and…

On each end of town along Broadway, visitors are greeted by enourmous cows, welcoming folks to Logansport and to the burger joints that have been a staple in town since the 1960s — Mr. Happy Burger. The East End location opened its doors first in November 1961, when you could get a burger, f…

A bronze statue of Jesus stands at the corner of Market and First streets near the All Saints Catholic Church parish. Dedicated in 1931, the statue stands about 5 feet tall and bears the sacred heart, a representation of Jews’ divine love for humanity.

Cecilia Slusser painted the carousel-style unicorn in the garden on the northeastern corner of Third and Market streets, next to China Lane. It was unveiled in 2003, during the Family Art Festival at Riverside Park, which later became Art on the Avenue.

Bruno’s Pizza opened in 1960 and its recipe hasn’t changed in at least 50 years. The window o f the pizza shop — facing busy East Market — has allowed passersby to glimpse employees tossing dough for decades.

The Doughboy monument at the corner of Sixth and Broadway honors local soldiers who lost their lives during World War I.

The lower pavillion at Spencer Park has been a popular spot for wedding receptions, family reunions and parties for decades.

Opened in 2004, the 1.3-mile River Bluff Trail along the north bank of the Eel River is the sister to the Little Turtle Waterway Trail along the Wabash. The Cole Bridge, opened in 2014 at Riverside Park, now connects the River Bluff to the citywide trail system.

For decades, Logansport was bookended by two Myers bowling alleys — owned by twin brothers Ron and Don Myers. The west side Myers Lanes, across the street from Dykeman Golf Course, had an attached bar called The Loft where many local musicians cut their chops. The east end bowling alley had …

Col. Jordan Vigus served with distinction during the War of 1812. A decade later, he moved to the area now known as Logansport, helping to name the city and lay out its original plat. He served as the commissioner of the Wabash and Erie Canal and was elected Logansport’s first mayor in 1838.

Since long before Fred the Baker and his catchphrase “Time to make the donuts” was named one of the five best TV commercials of the 1980s, the staff at Bolin’s Donut Shop has risen in the middle of the night to start making fresh donuts each morning. The shop opens at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday throu…

Five generations of kids have received their first haircut while sitting in this miniature fire truck in Smitty’s Barber Shop at 921 N. Third St. Current owner Charlie Goudy says the fire truck has been at the shop since it opened at its current location in 1957 (the shop opened across the s…

Mark Racop has been making batmobiles since 1983 when he bought a 1974 Monte Carlo and, using wood, foam and steel, created his first primitive replica in his garage with his buddies.

Logansport High School’s outdoor science lab — the Berry Patch — started operations when the new school opened in 1973. It contains 4 miles of trails and includes a pond and this bridge, which were built at no cost to the corporation. In 2006, the Indiana Tree Farm Committee named the Berry …

Pipe Creek Falls near 850 East and 275 South in Tipton Township has been a favorite spot for outdoor enthusiasts, fishers, bikers and boaters for decades. But underwater, remnants of several grist mills built can sometimes be seen peeking above the low water levels.

The train trestle that crosses the Wabash River west of Cicott Street Bridge is a popular backdrop for pictures. But beware — it is still

The Lake Cicott Post Office is among the smallest in the nation. According to Postmaster Relief Clerk Deb Kraay, last week the post office handled 73 letters, 40 magazines and 2 parcels. In recent years, the U.S. Postal Service has closed many of its small offices, but the one in Lake Cicott…

The grain elevator on 18th Street south of the bridge has welcomed travelers to Logansport for nearly a century — the Logansport Elevator Co. opened in June 1919.

One of Indiana’s earliest roads, Michigan Road cut directly through Logansport on what is now SR29 to the south and SR25 to the north. Completed in the 1830s, it connected Indianapolis for the first time to the Ohio River to the south and Lake Michigan to the north.

The Fraternal Order of Eagles closed in 2014 after 111 years in operation. It was the third oldest Eagles club in Indiana, behind Anderson and Brazil. Their last home — the Art Deco inspired yellow brick and glass block building at Sixth and North Streets — was completed in 1956. This intric…

Eighty veterans, ranging from the Revolutionary War to the Civil War to the Korean War, are buried at Ninth Street Cemetery, which opened in 1828 when an unnamed infant became the first to be interred there. The cemetery underwent a substantial repair program in 2016 when many headstones wer…

The cardinal was adopted as the state bird by the 1933 General Assembly, and their numbers are plentiful throughout Cass County. Males are bright red and the females are brown with a dull red crest, wings and tail. They remain in Indiana year round and nest in thickets of brambles or low saplings.

According to “The Ecology, Exploitation and Conservation of River Turtles” by Don and Edward O. Moll, though the Wabash River has sustained some industrial, municipal and agricultural pollution and is often brown because of suspended silt, turtles still thrive in its waters. The most common …

The bridge over the Eel River at Third Street was built in 1918 and designed by Daniel B. Luten using his signature Luten arch, which could be cast without needing scaffolding or support materials. Local historic preservationists successfully lobbied to keep the arches intact when the bridge…

Much of the exterior of the Logansport/Cass County Public Library looks the same as it did when it was built in 1903 as part of the Carnegie library project. Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated the funds to build 2,509 libraries worldwide between 1883 and 1929, including 1,689 in the U.S.

Whether it’s in a canoe, inner tube, kayak, raft or any number of other floatation devices, for many, summer in Logansport means floating down the Eel River on a sunny weekend afternoon.

On the north side of Riverside Park, the Cole Pedestrian Bridge spans the Eel River. Completed in 2014, the 377.5-foot walking bridge connects the River Bluff Trail on the north bank of the Eel River to the Eel River Run trail on the south.

St. Vincent de Paul Church at Ninth and Spencer Streets opened in 1863. After the city’s Catholic churches were consolidated in the 1980s into All Saints parish, St. Vincent began to deteriorate. It is now owned by the Emmaus Mission Center and plans are in place to remove eight of its stain…

A local rite of spring in Logansport is the addition of colorful displays of flowers outside D&R Fruit and Meat Market. In 1962, an open-air market opened on West Market Street. The store slowly developed into a full-service grocery. D&R gets its name from its current operators, Dave…

An ornate carving tops the building at Sixth and Market streets that opened as Logansport’s Post Office in August 1905. The Beaux Arts structure is listed on the Indiana and national registers of historic places as part of Logansport’s Courthouse Historic District. The current post office bu…

Look down at the sidewalk in almost any area of Logansport and you’ll find the familiar stamp of M.R. Louthain & Assoc. The company was started by Merrill Louthain, who had worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad and Leo Brown Construction before deciding to start his own business in the 1960s.

On the wall of the front lobby at Logansport’s Pepsi Cola Bottling Co. on Third and Water Streets is a mosaic of a bottle cap made of ceramic tiles.

In June 2017, the roughly 5-mile loop of bike lanes was completed, stretching from Eel River Avenue to 24th Street on Market Street and Broadway and looping around the Boulevard on the city’s East End. The city allocated just over $279,000 for the lanes from INDOT funds given to the city whe…

A marker on Towpath Road near Lockport commemorates the Potawatomi Trail of Death.

One of the Pharos-Tribune’s previous homes still bears its name on Fourth Street near the Cass County Government Building.

The fountain — now on display at Heritage Preservation Park near the farmers market — was built by J.W. Fiske Iron Works of New York. From the 1930s until the ’70s, it was a popular gathering place in front of the old Cass County Courthouse.

At 200 acres, Mount Hope Cemetery is thought to be the third largest in Indiana. Many of Logansport’s most notable figures are entombed at Mount Hope, which accepted its first burial in 1854 and has since received more than 81,000. Among them are Gen. John Tipton; Graham N. Fitch, U.S. repre…

An old Pennsylvania Railroad signal bridge that once straddled the tracks that cross U.S. 24 on the west side, just east of Cole Hardwood, was taken down and restored by Leo Brown Construction in 1993. The project — paid for with a grant from the Build Indiana Fund through the Indiana Lotter…

What started over a decade ago as a modest plan to brighten up downtown Logansport has bloomed into an annual tradition. Soon — around May 15 to be more precise, when the almanac says there should be no more morning frost — more than 130 hanging baskets and nearly 170 barrels of bright pink …

A sculpture of an eagle watches over the Twelve Mile Community Volunteer Fire Department from its perch across the street.

At the corner of South Chicago and East streets in Royal Center, you’ll find more than just a drive-in offering hamburgers and hot dogs — you’ll find a community gathering spot.

A pig-shaped sign tells visitors that the Royal Center Locker Plant is open for business. Since 1971, customers have visited the plant for freshly butchered meats. Many folks throughout the area have made it an annual tradition to stock up on enough frozen meat to last all winter as well. An…

The Wabash and Erie Canal, which originated in Toledo, Ohio, reached Logansport in 1837. In 1840, an aqueduct opened that allowed the canal to cross the Eel River at Fifth Street to continue its path down what is now Water Street and eventually on to the Ohio River.

In 2015, it was officially renamed Muehlhausen Park Aquatic Center — after the late George Muehlhausen, the former mayor who spearheaded the creation of pool in the 1950s. But to most folks, it’s still known as Tower Park.

Warm weather means bike rides in Indiana. In Logansport, there are a plethora of benefit rides each year, usually starting off with the Jamie Melroy/Brad Brown Benefit Ride, organized by the Neighborhood Tavern and benefitting Cops for Kids. About 80 bikes took part in this year’s ride on Sa…

Softball games at Riverside Park have long been a tradition in Logansport, with up to 800 people playing throughout the course of a season. For at least the past 30 years, leagues have formed to compete at the ball diamond. The ballpark also plays host to church teams and tournaments, which …

The train at Riverside Park gets prepared for the first riders of the summer. The train was brought to Logansport from San Francisco in the 1970s. In 2001, Myers Spring restored the body of the train, and the following year, the engine was rebuilt by former board member Max Snider.

An old roller skate sits at the front desk at the Logan Roller Rink on Kiesling Road just south of West Market Street. Owners Tom and Lynne Colford practically grew up in Logan Roller Rink, which many knew for decades as simply "Nick's" because of long-time proprietor Nick Rozzi. The rink op…

The US24 Speedway started out in 1959 as a dirt track then switched to blacktop for many years. In 1991, the speedway switched back to a dirt track and was lengthened from 1/8 mile to 1/6 mile.

The class of 1952 presented the victory bell to then Principal J.H. Mertz during a pep session at the old Berry Bowl. According to a 1952 Pharos-Tribune article, members of the student committee that coordinated the effort were Bruce Harris, Rita Kiesling, Bob Jacobsen and Phil McArthy.

A 22-foot-tall Felix is the prominent centerpiece of the new Berry Bowl floor. To understand the scale of the character, note the piece of letter-sized paper laying at the bottom right. Felix is the oldest high school mascot in Indiana, becoming the symbol for LHS sports in 1926. A stuffed F…