We asked you to define Logansport in 100 objects.

We are offering a beautiful, soft bound compilation of “Logansport in 100 Objects.” This collector’s book features your choices, as well as ours, that define Logansport and offer an apt image of our hometown. This soft cover book truly captures the personality of Logansport.

Stop by our downtown office at 517 E. Broadway and pick up your copy for only $9.95, while supplies last.


An old roller skate sits at the front desk at the Logan Roller Rink on Kiesling Road just south of West Market Street. Owners Tom and Lynne Colford practically grew up in Logan Roller Rink, which many knew for decades as simply "Nick's" because of long-time proprietor Nick Rozzi. The rink op…

The US24 Speedway started out in 1959 as a dirt track then switched to blacktop for many years. In 1991, the speedway switched back to a dirt track and was lengthened from 1/8 mile to 1/6 mile.

The class of 1952 presented the victory bell to then Principal J.H. Mertz during a pep session at the old Berry Bowl. According to a 1952 Pharos-Tribune article, members of the student committee that coordinated the effort were Bruce Harris, Rita Kiesling, Bob Jacobsen and Phil McArthy.

Warm weather means bike rides in Indiana. In Logansport, there are a plethora of benefit rides each year, usually starting off with the Jamie Melroy/Brad Brown Benefit Ride, organized by the Neighborhood Tavern and benefitting Cops for Kids. About 80 bikes took part in this year’s ride on Sa…

Softball games at Riverside Park have long been a tradition in Logansport, with up to 800 people playing throughout the course of a season. For at least the past 30 years, leagues have formed to compete at the ball diamond. The ballpark also plays host to church teams and tournaments, which …

Click the tiles below until you find a matching pair. How many moves will it take you to find them all?

The train at Riverside Park gets prepared for the first riders of the summer. The train was brought to Logansport from San Francisco in the 1970s. In 2001, Myers Spring restored the body of the train, and the following year, the engine was rebuilt by former board member Max Snider.

The Wabash and Erie Canal, which originated in Toledo, Ohio, reached Logansport in 1837. In 1840, an aqueduct opened that allowed the canal to cross the Eel River at Fifth Street to continue its path down what is now Water Street and eventually on to the Ohio River.

In 2015, it was officially renamed Muehlhausen Park Aquatic Center — after the late George Muehlhausen, the former mayor who spearheaded the creation of pool in the 1950s. But to most folks, it’s still known as Tower Park.

A pig-shaped sign tells visitors that the Royal Center Locker Plant is open for business. Since 1971, customers have visited the plant for freshly butchered meats. Many folks throughout the area have made it an annual tradition to stock up on enough frozen meat to last all winter as well. An…

At the corner of South Chicago and East streets in Royal Center, you’ll find more than just a drive-in offering hamburgers and hot dogs — you’ll find a community gathering spot.

A sculpture of an eagle watches over the Twelve Mile Community Volunteer Fire Department from its perch across the street.

What started over a decade ago as a modest plan to brighten up downtown Logansport has bloomed into an annual tradition. Soon — around May 15 to be more precise, when the almanac says there should be no more morning frost — more than 130 hanging baskets and nearly 170 barrels of bright pink …

An old Pennsylvania Railroad signal bridge that once straddled the tracks that cross U.S. 24 on the west side, just east of Cole Hardwood, was taken down and restored by Leo Brown Construction in 1993. The project — paid for with a grant from the Build Indiana Fund through the Indiana Lotter…

The fountain — now on display at Heritage Preservation Park near the farmers market — was built by J.W. Fiske Iron Works of New York. From the 1930s until the ’70s, it was a popular gathering place in front of the old Cass County Courthouse.

At 200 acres, Mount Hope Cemetery is thought to be the third largest in Indiana. Many of Logansport’s most notable figures are entombed at Mount Hope, which accepted its first burial in 1854 and has since received more than 81,000. Among them are Gen. John Tipton; Graham N. Fitch, U.S. repre…

One of the Pharos-Tribune’s previous homes still bears its name on Fourth Street near the Cass County Government Building.

A marker on Towpath Road near Lockport commemorates the Potawatomi Trail of Death.

In June 2017, the roughly 5-mile loop of bike lanes was completed, stretching from Eel River Avenue to 24th Street on Market Street and Broadway and looping around the Boulevard on the city’s East End. The city allocated just over $279,000 for the lanes from INDOT funds given to the city whe…

Look down at the sidewalk in almost any area of Logansport and you’ll find the familiar stamp of M.R. Louthain & Assoc. The company was started by Merrill Louthain, who had worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad and Leo Brown Construction before deciding to start his own business in the 1960s.

On the wall of the front lobby at Logansport’s Pepsi Cola Bottling Co. on Third and Water Streets is a mosaic of a bottle cap made of ceramic tiles.

An ornate carving tops the building at Sixth and Market streets that opened as Logansport’s Post Office in August 1905. The Beaux Arts structure is listed on the Indiana and national registers of historic places as part of Logansport’s Courthouse Historic District. The current post office bu…

A local rite of spring in Logansport is the addition of colorful displays of flowers outside D&R Fruit and Meat Market. In 1962, an open-air market opened on West Market Street. The store slowly developed into a full-service grocery. D&R gets its name from its current operators, Dave…

A local rite of spring in Logansport is the addition of colorful displays of flowers outside D&R Fruit and Meat Market. In 1962, an open-air market opened on West Market Street. The store slowly developed into a full-service grocery. D&R gets its name from its current operators, Dave…

St. Vincent de Paul Church at Ninth and Spencer Streets opened in 1863. After the city’s Catholic churches were consolidated in the 1980s into All Saints parish, St. Vincent began to deteriorate. It is now owned by the Emmaus Mission Center and plans are in place to remove eight of its stain…

On the north side of Riverside Park, the Cole Pedestrian Bridge spans the Eel River. Completed in 2014, the 377.5-foot walking bridge connects the River Bluff Trail on the north bank of the Eel River to the Eel River Run trail on the south.

Whether it’s in a canoe, inner tube, kayak, raft or any number of other floatation devices, for many, summer in Logansport means floating down the Eel River on a sunny weekend afternoon.

The bridge over the Eel River at Third Street was built in 1918 and designed by Daniel B. Luten using his signature Luten arch, which could be cast without needing scaffolding or support materials. Local historic preservationists successfully lobbied to keep the arches intact when the bridge…

Much of the exterior of the Logansport/Cass County Public Library looks the same as it did when it was built in 1903 as part of the Carnegie library project. Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated the funds to build 2,509 libraries worldwide between 1883 and 1929, including 1,689 in the U.S.

The cardinal was adopted as the state bird by the 1933 General Assembly, and their numbers are plentiful throughout Cass County. Males are bright red and the females are brown with a dull red crest, wings and tail. They remain in Indiana year round and nest in thickets of brambles or low saplings.

According to “The Ecology, Exploitation and Conservation of River Turtles” by Don and Edward O. Moll, though the Wabash River has sustained some industrial, municipal and agricultural pollution and is often brown because of suspended silt, turtles still thrive in its waters. The most common …

Eighty veterans, ranging from the Revolutionary War to the Civil War to the Korean War, are buried at Ninth Street Cemetery, which opened in 1828 when an unnamed infant became the first to be interred there. The cemetery underwent a substantial repair program in 2016 when many headstones wer…

The grain elevator on 18th Street south of the bridge has welcomed travelers to Logansport for nearly a century — the Logansport Elevator Co. opened in June 1919.

The Fraternal Order of Eagles closed in 2014 after 111 years in operation. It was the third oldest Eagles club in Indiana, behind Anderson and Brazil. Their last home — the Art Deco inspired yellow brick and glass block building at Sixth and North Streets — was completed in 1956. This intric…

One of Indiana’s earliest roads, Michigan Road cut directly through Logansport on what is now SR29 to the south and SR25 to the north. Completed in the 1830s, it connected Indianapolis for the first time to the Ohio River to the south and Lake Michigan to the north.

Pipe Creek Falls near 850 East and 275 South in Tipton Township has been a favorite spot for outdoor enthusiasts, fishers, bikers and boaters for decades. But underwater, remnants of several grist mills built can sometimes be seen peeking above the low water levels.

The train trestle that crosses the Wabash River west of Cicott Street Bridge is a popular backdrop for pictures. But beware — it is still

Logansport High School’s outdoor science lab — the Berry Patch — started operations when the new school opened in 1973. It contains 4 miles of trails and includes a pond and this bridge, which were built at no cost to the corporation. In 2006, the Indiana Tree Farm Committee named the Berry …

The Lake Cicott Post Office is among the smallest in the nation. According to Postmaster Relief Clerk Deb Kraay, last week the post office handled 73 letters, 40 magazines and 2 parcels. In recent years, the U.S. Postal Service has closed many of its small offices, but the one in Lake Cicott…

Mark Racop has been making batmobiles since 1983 when he bought a 1974 Monte Carlo and, using wood, foam and steel, created his first primitive replica in his garage with his buddies.

Five generations of kids have received their first haircut while sitting in this miniature fire truck in Smitty’s Barber Shop at 921 N. Third St. Current owner Charlie Goudy says the fire truck has been at the shop since it opened at its current location in 1957 (the shop opened across the s…

Since long before Fred the Baker and his catchphrase “Time to make the donuts” was named one of the five best TV commercials of the 1980s, the staff at Bolin’s Donut Shop has risen in the middle of the night to start making fresh donuts each morning. The shop opens at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday throu…

Opened in 2004, the 1.3-mile River Bluff Trail along the north bank of the Eel River is the sister to the Little Turtle Waterway Trail along the Wabash. The Cole Bridge, opened in 2014 at Riverside Park, now connects the River Bluff to the citywide trail system.

For decades, Logansport was bookended by two Myers bowling alleys — owned by twin brothers Ron and Don Myers. The west side Myers Lanes, across the street from Dykeman Golf Course, had an attached bar called The Loft where many local musicians cut their chops. The east end bowling alley had …

Col. Jordan Vigus served with distinction during the War of 1812. A decade later, he moved to the area now known as Logansport, helping to name the city and lay out its original plat. He served as the commissioner of the Wabash and Erie Canal and was elected Logansport’s first mayor in 1838.

The Doughboy monument at the corner of Sixth and Broadway honors local soldiers who lost their lives during World War I.

The lower pavillion at Spencer Park has been a popular spot for wedding receptions, family reunions and parties for decades.

A bronze statue of Jesus stands at the corner of Market and First streets near the All Saints Catholic Church parish. Dedicated in 1931, the statue stands about 5 feet tall and bears the sacred heart, a representation of Jews’ divine love for humanity.

On each end of town along Broadway, visitors are greeted by enourmous cows, welcoming folks to Logansport and to the burger joints that have been a staple in town since the 1960s — Mr. Happy Burger. The East End location opened its doors first in November 1961, when you could get a burger, f…

Cecilia Slusser painted the carousel-style unicorn in the garden on the northeastern corner of Third and Market streets, next to China Lane. It was unveiled in 2003, during the Family Art Festival at Riverside Park, which later became Art on the Avenue.

Bruno’s Pizza opened in 1960 and its recipe hasn’t changed in at least 50 years. The window o f the pizza shop — facing busy East Market — has allowed passersby to glimpse employees tossing dough for decades.

A staple of summertime entertainment for decades, the Skyline Drive-In theater closed after the summer of 2013, becoming a victim of several converging issues — changing viewing habits, the introduction of Daylight Saving Time (which pushed back possible start times later in the evening) and…

A faded stone marker at the corner of Bates and Plum streets, just outside the fence around the playground at Franklin Elementary School, commemorates a Civil War military encampment that once used the grounds. The marker reads: “40 Indiana Vol. Inft. organized and camped here from October t…

The first public service in the building that has come to be known as the Baptist Temple (likely because of its Grecian-style architecture) was on Sunday, May 19, 1912 with a congregation of 1,200 in attendance.

With a generous gift from local attorney Frank M. McHale — $200,000 for architectural work, $1 million for the construction of the auditorium and an additional $2 million endowment for its continued upkeep — McHale Auditorium was completed in 1976. The combined $3.2 million gift is worth abo…

The shade on the light above the front door that welcomes guests of Logansport’s Shrine Club is a recreation of the iconic fez hats worn by its members.

Founded July 1, 1888 as the Northern Indiana Hospital for the Insane, Logansport State Hospital is Indiana’s oldest operating psychiatric hospital.

After mowing the dew-covered grass in his yard, blacksmith Jack Brubaker found inspiration for the construction of the 16-foot-tall orange sculpture on display in Stonewall Park.

On 100 North, just west of U.S. 35, you’ll find Devil’s Dip — a steep valley where the roadway drops suddenly, then rises again as you approach Shiloh Christian Church. For generations, the route has attracted midnight visitors on the way to visit the old cemetery on the church grounds, whic…

Amelio’s opened in 1871 and is among only a handful of downtown businesses that have survived from 19th century. The building at the corner of Fifth Street and Melbourne Avenue survived the Great Flood of 1913 and has a bronze plaque next to the main entrance noting the high-water mark of th…

If you drive past Dykeman Golf Course on Royal Center Pike and spot a giant bear standing between holes 7 and 8, don’t be alarmed! It’s the work of Marion artist Scott Brown, who carved the beautiful piece out of the remains of an old willow tree. Randy Cole commissioned the piece about thre…

Milt and Jean Cole bought Cole Hardwood, formerly John I. Shafer Lumber Co., in 1986.

Tipton Lodge No. 33 F&AM was organized in Logansport on Aug. 25, 1828. Its majestic building at Fourth and North streets was dedicated in 1896 and served as the home for Tipton Lodge until 1998 when, citing the expense of maintaining the building, the lodge sold it for one dollar to Four…

Though it’s been shuttered since early 2016, the old power plant along the Eel River south of Riverside Park still commands attention as one of Logansport’s most iconic structures.

On Aug. 10, 1829, the Cass County commissioners selected Logansport as the county seat and began planning for a new courthouse to be set on a plot near the center of town.

On June 29, 2012, “The Dancers” sculpture on Market Street between Third and Fourth streets was unveiled. It was the first piece of commissioned public art in Logansport, funded by the “Dancing With Our Stars” fundraising event.

While its exterior has remained virtually the same since it opened in 1940, inside, the State Theatre has been transformed from a movie house into a mixed use venue that now specializes in live concerts like this 2016 performance by Pink Floyd tribute band Pink Droyd.

Little Turtle Waterway Trail was completed in 2016 with the addition of the section between 12th and 18th streets. The trail now winds along the wooded north bank of the Wabash River from the confluence with the Eel River to 18th Street Bridge.

The building that now serves as headquarters for Logan’s Landing was never actually a functioning depot. Originally, it was a yard office building for the Vandalia Railroad. However, the late 19th century Queen Anne-style building does stand on the former site of the Pennsylvania Depot, whic…

In 2017, the inaugural Christmas in the Park light show at Spencer Park raised more than $13,000, according to city officials.

In 1914, the pipe organ was installed in St. Joseph Church in Logansport. The organ was used until the 1950s when a modern electronic organ replaced it. The old organ stood dormant and deteriorated for years. Then, in 1985, when Logansport’s Catholic parishes were consolidated to become All …

In the early 1900s, the railroads transformed Logansport from a small town dotted with mills and small shops into a major center of commerce. At one time, as many as nine companies operated railroads that came through town, connecting Logansport to large cities in the Midwest, on both coasts…

Gustav Dentzel built carousels in Philadelphia during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Cass County carousel is one of three complete, stationary Dentzel carousels in the country. Around the turn of the 20th century, the Fort Wayne Consolidated Railway Company opened Robinson Park …

It’s where many of us still go in person to pay our electric bills at the LMU service counter. But few folks likely make it far enough inside the City Building at Sixth and Market streets to notice the enormous stained glass skylight. At nearly 40 feet across, it can best be seen from the la…

The ReVere Motor Car Corp., located at 417 First St., produced its first chassis on Aug. 25, 1917. By 1919, the first production ReVere was delivered. Three styles were produced including a two-seat roadster, a four-passenger sport and a six-passenger touring car. Advertisements referred to …

Whether it’s at Spencer Park or Dykeman Park Golf Course, for generations, a snow day off from school has meant a day of family fun sledding. In the winter of 2017, the Campos and Bailey families took to the hill at Spencer Park on one such snow day. Sleds were originally developed as a prim…

Jim Galbreath’s design for the sculpture inside Memorial Hospital’s new cancer treatment center echoes a depiction of the atom, representing the scientific research involved in cancer treatment. It’s Galbreath’s third commissioned work — he’s known for having created the statue “The Dancers”…

In October 2017, the Lewis Cass Marching Kings made history, placing first in their class at the Bands of America Super Regional Championship. Sixty-eight marching bands from the East Coast to Oklahoma — some of the best bands in the nation — competed in four classes at the two-day event at …

In August 2017, Mollie Graybeal started to spray-paint works of art in the alley behind her and her family’s furniture business, The Gray Mill, in downtown Logansport. Her work caught the attention of other local property owners who want her to brighten their buildings too. Graybeal is motiv…

Nearly extinct just a generation ago, the bald eagle was removed from Indiana’s list of species deemed endangered or of special concern.

In recent years, Logansport’s Fourth of July fireworks display has taken place at Riverside Park. The view from Cole Bridge is breathtaking — though civilians generally are not allowed to view them from this vantage point without special permission.

Shaded by a tree for which it’s named, Sycamore Drive-In has been a local favorite since it opened in 1948. The original sycamore tree at 316 20th St. was cut down after it died in 1996. A new sycamore was planted in its place. For longtime Logansport residents, the drive-in will always be c…

The cross-town rivalry between the Columbia Middle School Vikings and the Lincoln Middle School Railsplitters is now a thing of the past.

In most towns, fireworks are the highlight of Fourth of July festivities. But in Twelve Mile — at least since 1963 — it’s the Twelve Mile 500.

Everyone knows that farming is a big part of life in Cass County. According the 2012 USDA Census of Agriculture, there were 688 farms in Cass County with an average size of 291 acres. That’s 200,257 acres of farmland — or about 76 percent of the land in Cass County.

In a field just south of Hoover, thousands of sunflowers brighten the landscape, surrounded by corn and soybean crops in September 2017.

For decades, the mostly par 3 golf course behind Myers Sports Bowl was simply known as Par 3 to locals. The 18-hole course, designed by Glen Peeples, opened in 1965 as Rolling Hills. Now, Logan’s Run Family Golf Course has another unique feature — it’s home to nine acres of vineyards that wi…

The Cass County Dentzel Carousel in Logansport's Riverside Park is one of three complete, stationary Dentzel carousels in the country. The masterpiece was hand carved more than 100 years ago by Gustav A. Dentzel. In 1919, a Fort Wayne resident purchased the carousel and shipped it to Logansp…

The Captain Logan Hotel sign stood on the north side of Indiana 25 as you entered Logansport. When residents saw it, they knew they were almost home. The Captain Logan Hotel was housed in the Barnes building, 213 E. Broadway, which underwent a $2 million renovation in the 1980s. The dining r…

In September 1994, a veterans monument was placed outside the City Building in honor of Cass County's only discharged veteran with four legs. The black granite stone was etched by Logansport native Ann Rohweder Dahman. It's a tribute to Ada, a German shepherd who served with a unit in World …

Softball games at Riverside Park have long been a tradition in Logansport, with up to 800 people playing throughout the course of a season. For at least the past 30-plus years, leagues have formed to compete at the ball diamond. Largest among them is Cass County Men's Softball Inc. The ball …

This log cabin, once the home of the William Chick family, was built in 1863 and originally stood near Galveston. The two-story cabin was donated to the Cass County Historical Society in 1974. Many donated thousands of hours to take down, move and reassemble the log home on the grounds of th…

Closson Lumber was founded as a coal and lumber company in 1898 under the direction of Edgar Dwight Closson. Carl Archer Closson took over the operation and was also the secretary and treasurer of the Logansport Coal Dealer’s Association. In the 19th century, coal was an important commodity …

In 2008, after a 12-year run, the Family Arts Festival underwent a name and location change. Renamed to Art on the Avenue, the event moved from Riverside Park and the banks of the Eel River to Little Turtle Waterway along the banks of the Wabash. The mission of the festival stayed the same a…

Now a law office, the brick and stone building that stands at the southeast corner of Sixth and Market streets opened as Logansport's new Post Office in August 1905 under the direction of Postmaster W.W. Moss. When it first opened, city residents had trouble making the transition, according …

While it might not be viewed as our finest hour, the thriving Red Light District that once stood on East Wabash Avenue is part of our city's history. And it's a history not that uncommon for a town built around the railroading industry like Logansport was. Prostitution had probably been esta…

In 2003, during the annual Family Art Festival at Riverside Park (which later was called Art on the Avenue when it moved downtown), Cecilia Slusser unveiled the mystery art piece the community had been waiting to see. The unicorn form was purchased from Chicago and then became Slusser's proj…

You might not know it at first glance, but the building now housing Baldwin Accounting Corp. was a player in an integral time of our city's past. The building was once home to the city's horse-pulled streetcars. The horses were kept in the back of the building, with the streetcars in the fro…

Although it's technically in a county park, the France Park Falls are a gem pristine enough to make the list anyway. The creek tumbles over a wall of exposed bedrock, creating a small but pretty waterfall. The falls have been a backdrop to many wedding and senior photos and France Park itsel…

Whitehouse Restaurant was founded by Loren and Mabel Kathrens in 1941 just before the U.S. was thrust into World War II. The Sixth Street eatery became known as "Whitehouse No. 1" when the Kathrens opened two other Whitehouse Restaurant locations around Logansport. One was located on the gro…

The Logansport area celebrated a decade of good eats in 2015 with the 10th annual Taste of Cass County. The festival organized by Logan’s Landing takes place annually at Little Turtle Waterway and showcases the county’s finest food fares. Festival goers purchase tickets which they then excha…