- State News
- Downed jet victim was NW Indiana exchange student DEMOTTE (AP) — An Indiana University graduate student's boyfriend who died with her on the downed plane in Ukraine had spent six months in northwestern Indiana as a high school exchange student. Jenny Jonkman says Laurens Van Der Graaff came from the
- New alcohol charge against John Mellencamp's son BLOOMINGTON (AP) — The 20-year-old son of rock star John Mellencamp faces an underage drinking charge while awaiting resolution of charges that he and his brother seriously injured a man in a fight. Monroe County court records show Hud Mellencamp of
- Dozens attend vigil for Indiana boy who drowned AVON (AP) — The aunt of a 7-year-old boy who drowned in a neighborhood retention pond in suburban Indianapolis says she is working to establish free swimming lessons for inner-city children. Dozens of people attended a vigil Sunday evening for Javon
- Security to be tight at Expo event's final weekend INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indianapolis officials are taking extra steps to ensure safety at a popular downtown event in a year that has seen a surge in homicides. Police Chief Rick Hite said Friday that officers are increasing patrols and enforcing a curfe
- Purdue Northwest picked as name of merged campuses WEST LAFAYETTE (AP) — Purdue University Northwest has been picked as the new name for the merger of the school's two regional campuses in northwestern Indiana. The university's board of trustees on Friday approved the name that will cover the current
- Millersburg town marshal accused of stealing woman's panties MILLERSBURG (AP) — A northern Indiana town marshal is facing two misdemeanor counts for allegedly stealing panties belonging to his son's live-in girlfriend. The Elkhart Truth reports 59-year-old Millersburg Marshal David Keith Hathaway was charged W
- State reports budget surplus INDIANAPOLIS — As expected, the state closed its fiscal year with a budget surplus, due largely to spending cuts forced by Gov. Mike Pence.As of June 30, the state had a $106 million operating surplus and reserves of $2 billion, Auditor Suzanne Crouc
- Former governor Bayh weighs decision to run again WASHINGTON — Evan Bayh is keeping Indiana Democrats on hold.Party loyalists longing for a political savior to retake the governor’s office have been waiting on Bayh ever since he abruptly decided to leave the U.S. Senate and political life three year
Indianapolis teenager gets 59 years for murder
An Indianapolis teenager who pleaded guilty to murder, aggravated battery and robbery for a crime spree last year has been sentenced to 59 years in prison.
Hundreds honor Air Force vet who died in '52 crash
Hundreds of people turned out to pay their respects to a central Indiana man killed when a military transport airplane crashed into an Alaska mountain in 1952.
- More State News Headlines