9) I would mandate more drug treatment centers in lieu of prison.
10) I would immediately halt the killing of wolves and wild horses. We treat these animals as we originally did the Indians, cramming them into reservations because we want their habitat for ourselves. “Oh, my God,” we say, “wolves kill our cows and horses eat the grass we need for our cattle. We must kill them!” But when greedy corporations poison our water or our air, we give them another tax break.
11) I would adjust school budgets so that every school got the same amount per student. No American child should attend school in a crumbling building with tattered out-of-date books. It is to the benefit of our entire society for all our children to have access to a good education. I would end teaching to tests in favor of learning to think and being able to articulate your conclusions.
12) I would encourage union membership by America’s labor. No, unions aren’t always perfect but as it is now, workers have no representative to serve as their advocate, so management has it all their own way — and you can tell by the ever-growing inequality of income in the U.S.
13) I would raise the minimum wage so that any American who works 40 hours a week is above the poverty level.
14) I would insist on some changes in gun control laws – a background check for every purchase, stronger penalties for straw sales, the banning of high-capacity magazines.
15) I would create a path to citizenship for the dreamers who have lived in America since they were children.
So, there you go. Call it whatever-ism you like, but those are my ideas. I’d love to hear yours?
Vicki Williams is a columnist for the Pharos-Tribune. She can be reached through the newspaper at firstname.lastname@example.org.