I have always joked, “When I’m dictator, there’ll be some changes made.” I often ask conservatives, “Tell me your vision of America if you totally got your way?”
None of them ever answer in any detail. Here’s what would happen if it was up to me.
1) I would appoint a bipartisan commission to make the election laws uniform. I’d have my commission draw a completely new electoral map so that districts were as neutral as possible, not favoring one party over the other. All states would use the same machines and the same voting hours and the same types of identification.
2) I would do away with the electoral college in favor of the popular vote for presidential elections.
3) I would institute public funding for campaigns. Every candidate would have the same amount to spend and no more. No more PACs, no more soft money, no more millions from out-of-state residents to influence state elections.
4) Obamacare would be changed to a single payer plan – Medicare for all.
5) I would be inclined to pardon Edward Snowden for whatever crimes he may have committed. I see him as more of a whistleblower than a traitor. He opened our eyes to secretive practices on the part of our government that we needed to know about. As a result of his actions, at least some changes are being made in the way the federal government spies on us while maintaining massive amounts of our personal information.
6) I would close Guantanamo Bay as soon as possible. I think it is a stain on our national honor.
7) I would order all states to legalize gay marriage, which I see as a civil right.
8) I would order all states to withdraw their punitive restrictions on abortion, a constitutionally protected right.
8) I would legalize marijuana nationally. Maybe I’d even legalize all drugs since our War Against Drugs has been such an epic fail with America having more people incarcerated on drug charges than any other first world nation.