Recently, Logansport Elks Lodge 66 held its annual “feather party.”
On behalf of myself and this great organization, I would like to thank our local merchants: Electric Beach, Fire Stone Grill, Arnold’s Jewelry and Gifts, Home Depot, The Nest, Logan Tire, Fernbaugh’s Jewelry, Pond View Golf Course, Indian Trails Winery, Advance Auto, Jerry’s Pizza, Soft Touch Car Wash, Partridge Home Furnishings, D&J Liquors, Baker Specialty & Supply, NAPA Auto Parts, All Phase Electric, House of Beauty, Dale Hardy Supplies, Engineering Aggregates, Deichman Excavating, Central Paving, Kirby Risk, West Side Diner, Martin’s Super Market, Cato, Hair Salon 303, Mike Anderson GM Super Center, Mike Anderson Chrysler Dodge Jeep, Ultimate Fitness, Taco Bell, Old Style Inn, U-Know Pizza, Mid-America Radio Group, Shoe Sensation, Pizza Hut, Logansport Lumber, Regis Hair Salon, D&B Variety, Rural King, Mr. Happy Burger, Cass County Ford, The Gallery, Burger King, Designer Joe’s, Culligan Water Treatment, Maxx Tan, KFC/Long John Silver’s, Family Video, Domino’s Pizza, The Village Peddler, Amelio’s, Arone Hardware, Pear Tree Gallery, Closson Lumber, Auto Zone, Logansport Golf Club, Mike’s Auto, Kun’s Kountry Kitchen, The Old Mill, Dutch Mill, Applebee’s, Corner Cupboard, The Neighborhood Tavern, Bonnell’s Gas and Grocery, Myers Sport Bowl, Jet Transport, McGovern’s Bar & Eatery, Main Street Markets, Dye Lumber Company, China Lane, The People’s Winery, Dykeman Golf Course, Harris Glass Company, Cass County Family Y, Oasis Spirits, Bodyworks and the Candle Lady.
To the individual donors: Jill Nolte, Keith Knight, Erin Black, Dorothy Woodling, Jim and Kim Wolf, Amy Cunningham, Steven Pearson, Linda Pearson, Jim Vance, Gary Yeakley, George Roland, Delores Rennawanz, Tim Kesler, Jim Dunn, Francis Luey, Keith Woodruff, Pat Yeakley, Carlin Yeakley, Mike Schoreder, Mary Ann Netser, Cathy Depoy, Darcy Piery and Patty Shaffer.
To the staff: Rick Hopper and Mandy for auctioneering; Larry and Mary Lou Zeck for keeping auction records; Ron Lucky, John ruff, Rick Hopper, Jeff Frank and Brad Netser for the meal preparation; Patty Shaffer, Mary Ann Netser, Amy Roland, Amy Cunningham, Heidi Hendricks-Knight and Jodie Frank for working in the dining room; and Mike Schroder, Dennis Strasser, Aaron Green, Keith Knight and Steven Pearson for cleaning up.
I would also like to thank the Logansport Elkettes for their wonderful desserts and anyone else who may have donated their time and money to make this such a success. Because of your efforts and your money, we raised $6,000 for the Indiana Elks Cancer Research Project.
Ken Shaffer, Feather party chairman, Elks Lodge 66
- PUBLIC FORUM: Sunday, March 9, 2014 A helping hand in an hour of need Between 1985 and 1987, I was hospitalized several times for short-term help for severe depression. I had developed both epileptic and stress seizures, causing me to lose my job. And with other issues, I needed help.
- THEIR VIEW: Keep guns off school property At times, it seems like this nation has gone overboard in its gun legislation. Many proposed laws came into existence after the horrible shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., where 20 children and six staffers were killed. A handful o
- FRIEND: Hashing out our difference March roars in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. It appears that 2014 has the ability to live up to the old adage! The Legislature has completed the second half and is in the midst of conference committees. The final two weeks of session are devo
- Delph's re-election not foregone conclusion Mike Delph is a Republican state senator from Carmel, but he is well known to Republicans throughout the state. The evangelical conservative ran for Secretary of State in 2002, losing at the Republican convention. Three years later, he won a caucus t
- CEPEDA: Chicago at war over testing As education reform takes hold across the country, we find ourselves traveling through another dimension -- one not only of hysterics but also of childish behavior. There's a signpost up ahead, our next stop: The Stupid Zone! I mock the absurdities t
- WOLFSIE: No life without the wife If my column isn’t particularly funny this week, I have no one to blame but my wife. I have always depended on Mary Ellen to in some way annoy, befuddle, confound or mock me, thus leading me to my inevitable outburst: “That’s my next column.” Mary E
- PETERS: Termites and better biofuels Every time I fill my gas tank, I see the notice on the pump that explains part of the fuel I'm buying is ethanol. Ethanol is alcohol, a type of biofuel rather than fossil fuel. While biofuels can be good to promote national energy independence and po
- WILLIAMS: Living behind the digital times I was so grateful to turn in my smartphone when I retired. It was practically like brand new as several of its features had never been used. For instance, I never downloaded an app. I bought a simple flip phone from Consumer Cellular in case of emer
- PUBLIC FORUM: Letters from Thursday, March 6, 2014 Annual dinner a big success thanks to many I wanted to thank everyone for turning out last Saturday for the annual Cass County Democratic Party Jefferson-Jackson Dinner. It was a sell-out again this year with an estimated 200 people in attendance. I
- PARKER: Obama's best hope for change President Obama's new outreach initiative to help at-risk boys of color -- "My Brother's Keeper" -- is cause for cheer. It isn't that we haven't known for some time that minority boys are in trouble. Poor school performance, truancy, delinquency and,
- More Opinion Headlines