John A. Davis Sr.
John A. Davis Sr., 84, Logansport, passed away at 4:10 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, in his residence.
Born in Logansport on Oct. 8, 1928, he was the son of James and Anna Wilson Davis. On March 25, 1950, in Fort Wayne, he was married to Lona Brunner, who survives.
John retired in 1986 after 36 years of employment with Conrail, formerly Pennsylvania Railroad, and was a United States Army Air Corps veteran, having served during World War II. He was a member of Helm Street Church of God.
John was instrumental in the building of the new sanctuary for the Helm Street Church of God, and was a lifelong server of the church. He also served on many church committees.
Along with his wife, John had been a foster parent for many children. They both served on the former Washington School PTA, where he had been a co-president with Lona.
John, an avid reader, also enjoyed traveling, and title searching of court and county records. One of his greatest accomplishments was building a home for his family.
Also surviving are children, Eric (Patti) Davis, St. Petersburg, Fla., Janet (Kyle) Hocker, Indianapolis, John (Darla) Davis, Logansport, and Jennifer (James) Husar, Indianapolis.; brother, William Davis, Deer Creek; eight grandchildren, Oden Davis, Robyn Black, Stone and Cole Hocker, Laura and Seth Husar, and Nicholas and Sarah Davis; two great grandchildren, Alyssa and Dalton; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by two sisters, Margaret Hoover and Rose Friedline; and one brother, Frank Davis.
The funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Helm Street Church of God with the Revs. Dean Snyder and Dellmus Hall officiating. Interment with full military honors will be in Indian Creek Christian Cemetery, Lucerne.
Visitation will be from 3 until 8 p.m. Monday at Kroeger Funeral Home and from 10 a.m. until the time of the service Tuesday at the church.
Memorial contributions, in lieu of flowers, may be made to Helm Street Church of God, 711 Helm Street, Logansport, IN 46947.
Condolences may be left online at www.kroegerfuneralhome.com.
John A. Davis Sr.
- Helen G. Simmerman CAMDEN — Helen G. Simmerman, 94, Camden, passed away at 1 p.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at St. Elizabeth Healthcare Center in Delphi.She was born July 31, 1919, in White County, to Fred and Doris Goodin DeWitt. She graduated from Wolcott High School in
- Virginia H. Ballard INDIANAPOLIS — Virginia H. Ballard, 91, Indianapolis, passed away at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, in Community Hospital East, Indianapolis.Born March 11, 1923, in Logansport, Virginia was the daughter to the late Ernest R. and Jennie (Marchand)
- Larry J. Smith FORT WAYNE — Larry J. Smith, 71, Fort Wayne, formerly of Logansport, passed away Thursday, July 24, 2014.He was born in Logansport, the son of the late Joe and Virginia (Grusenmeyer) Smith. He served his country in the Army during Vietnam. He worked
- Max D. Beck YOUNG AMERICA — Max D. Beck, 88, Young America, passed away early Sunday morning, July 27, 2014, at his home.He was born Feb. 3, 1926, in Cass County, to Dell E. and Muriel (Gish) Beck. On June 8, 1947, in Center U.B. Church, he married Eldonna A. Bu
- Frances Juanita Bookwalter PERU — Frances Juanita Bookwalter, 93, Peru, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014, at Howard Regional Health Campus, Kokomo.Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Thursday at McClain Funeral Home, Denver, with the Rev. J. Robert Clark and the Rev. Catherine Ko
- James E. Young ROANN – James E. Young, 78, rural Roann, passed away at 11:37 p.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his residence.Services are 11 a.m. Friday, with one hour visitation prior to service, at Hartzler Funeral Home, 305 W. Rochester St., Akron, with Pastor Th
- Debra K. Hardacre MACY — Debra K. Hardacre, 54, Macy, Nyona Lake, passed away at 4:15 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014, at her residence.Funeral services will be noon Wednesday at Zimmerman Bros. Funeral Home, Rochester, with the Rev. George Hapner officiating. Burial will
- Patricia J. “Pat” Thomas BUFFALO — Patricia J. “Pat” Thomas, 90, Buffalo, passed away on Sunday, July 27, 2014, at St. Elizabeth East Hospital in Lafayette.The funeral service will be 10 a.m. Thursday at Miller – Roscka Funeral Home, Monticello. Burial will follow in Memory
- Dorothy M. Gast Dorothy M. Gast, 101, Logansport, passed away Friday, July 25, 2014, at Miller’s Merry Manor, Logansport.A celebration of life will be 2 p.m. today at Gundrum Funeral Home. Burial will be in Mount Hope Cemetery.Visitation will be from 1 p.m. until th
- Mary C. Hopkins Mary C. Hopkins, 75, Lafayette, died at 7:25 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at her residence. Celebration of life services will be 1 p.m. at Kossuth Street Baptist Church in Lafayette. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. until the time of service, with Past
- More Obituaries Headlines