January 6, 2013

Winamac boys fall in triple overtime at Knox

by Rick Conrad

KNOX — A last-second basket by Winamac’s boys basketball team at the end of regulation was ruled too late Saturday night at Knox, and the Redskins went on to outlast the Warriors in a marathon contest.

Knox won 71-67 in triple overtime. The Redskins (2-8) avenged a loss last week to the Warriors (3-6) in Winter Classic play.

With the game tied at 47-all late in regulation, Zach Shidler missed on a driving shot to the basket for the Warriors. Jeremy Bentle’s putback was off the mark, but Evan Rose tipped the ball in. But the officials ruled the shot was too late on a very close call.

The overtime sessions were back and forth, but a theme was the Redskins did a lot of damage inside and were able to get the line in abundance. Knox made 24 of 42 free throws (57.1 percent), with the vast majority of those coming in fourth quarter and the OT sessions. Winamac, meanwhile, went just 7 of 17 from the line (41.2 percent) for the game.

Curt Scherer led the Redskins with 19 points. Colton Hill had 16, Dylan Short had 15 and Brian Fulgham added nine.

“I hate that we were on the losing end of a triple-overtime game, but I’m really happy with the way the boys battled and kept fighting,” Winamac coach Kyle Johnson said. “We did a better job defensively over the course of the game, but we’ve got to do a better job defensively against the opposing team’s bigs.”

Shidler led the Warriors with 23 points. Adam Gruenig had 12 points on four 3-pointers. Rose was also in double figures with 10 points. Bentle chipped in six.

The Warriors led 23-14 at halftime as their guards did a lot of damage with dribble penetration.

The Redskins answered in the second half by going inside, with Short and Hill doing most of the damage. Winamac’s nine-point halftime lead diminished rather quickly, and it was back and forth the rest of the way.

Winamac led 37-35 after three quarters before it was tied 47-47 at the end of regulation, 53-53 after one overtime and 60-60 after two overtimes.