Pharos-Tribune

December 1, 2012

Motel room fire reportedly linked to meth lab

Fire reported Friday night at Super 8.

by Caitlin Huston
Pharos-Tribune

LOGANSPORT — A small fire, reportedly caused by a meth explosion, forced occupants outside of the Logansport Super 8 last night.

The Logansport Fire Department received a call about the fire at 10:37 p.m. for the motel at 3801 E. Market Street. The small fire was contained and originated from the bathroom of a second-floor room, where a meth lab was reportedly located.

The Logansport Police Department also responded to the scene.

Bair said the fire department was initially called when an occupant of the motel told employees that his room was on fire and that he had chemicals that would explode.

Firefighters were told by the police department that there was “possibly a fire, possibly a meth lab in there,” according to Bair.

When firefighters arrived, the occupants of the motel had already evacuated. The firefighters then proceeded to the second floor, where smoke was visible, according to the fire department log.

The door was locked and firefighters had to force it open, the narrative states.

The second-floor room had “heavy smoke” and a small fire was found in the bathroom.

Bair said the firefighters used a water can extinguisher and the fire was contained to the bathroom.

“It wasn’t much fire,” Bair said.

The LPD public information officer could not be reached for comment.  

Bair said the fire is under investigation.

Caitlin Huston is a staff reporter of the Pharos-Tribune. She can be reached at 574-732-5148 or caitlin.huston@pharostribune.com.