Pharos-Tribune

August 20, 2013

Peru restaurant out of business

Best Wok Buffet closes after damage from tornado.

by Carson Gerber For the Pharos-Tribune
Pharos-Tribune

---- — PERU — The Best Wok Buffet won’t be serving fried rice or General Tso’s chicken anymore.

The Chinese restaurant located at 888 W. Main St. permanently closed its doors soon after a tornado tore through Peru last month, causing heavy damage to the restaurant’s roof and walls.

Peru Building Commissioner Tom Harp said the owner of the building repaired the damage, but the restaurant decided to shut down after the storm. He said the owner is currently looking for a new tenant.

“I think the restaurant wasn’t doing as well as they would have liked,” Harp said. “This might have been a good excuse to shut down and move on.”

The restaurant’s owner could not be reached for comment.

Harp said he wasn’t sure exactly why Best Wok closed, but noted the restaurant was forced to discard all its food after the tornado knocked out power for around 36 hours to large parts of Peru.

He said most food vendors salvaged items during the power outage by removing them from their establishments.

Best Wok was open for at least three years, Harp said.

The tornado also destroyed the drive-in canopy at B&K West restaurant, but owner J.D. Hann said he plans to rebuild and reopen next year. Arby’s is also currently repairing the east side of its building, and plans to reopen soon.

Carson Gerber can be reached at 765-854-6739, or at carson.gerber@kokomotribune.com.