September 6, 2013

'Non-lethal force' ends standoff at Grissom

Police arrest George Doss following 6-hour incident.

By Mike Fletcher
For the Pharos-Tribune

---- — BUNKER HILL — A Kokomo man holding a suspicious suitcase held police at bay for more than six hours late Thursday and early today at Grissom Aeroplex.

Officers from the Miami County Sheriff Department responded at 7:54 p.m. to a 911 call, reporting a suspicious man carry a briefcase and kneeling in prayer on Hoosier Boulevard at the Grissom Aeroplex, adjacent to the Grissom Air Reserve Base.

When officers arrived, they located George J. Doss, 47, standing in the middle of Hoosier Boulevard near Flyer Street. A small suitcase was next to him. Doss would not identify himself or follow verbal commands, Sgt. Tony Slocum of the Indiana State Police reported in a news release.

Slocum said Doss made rambling statements, told officers they were in a "code red zone" and ignored those on the scene.

Deputies created a perimeter and attempted to communicate with Doss, but he continued to ignore commands.

Members of the Indiana State Police Explosive Ordinance Team, hostage crisis negotiators, and officers from the Indiana State Police Emergency Response Team were then called in to assist the sheriff's department.

Hostage crisis negotiators from both the sheriff's department and the Indiana State Police continued to communicate with Doss, with negative results, Slocum said. Eventually a robotic device was used to move the suitcase to a safe location, away from Doss. Then at 2:20 a.m., the state police emergency response team used a "distraction device and non-lethal force" to close in and take Doss into custody, Slocum said.

Doss was transported by ambulance to Dukes Memorial Hospital in Peru for a medical evaluation. It is not believed he sustained any injuries while being taken into custody, Slocum said.

Consideration of charges for disorderly conduct and resisting law enforcement will be presented to the Miami County Prosecutor’s Office.

After examination of the suitcase, no weapons or explosives were found inside, Slocum said. Doss did not have any weapons.

This is an ongoing investigation by the Miami County Sheriff's Department.

The Miami County Sheriff Department was assisted by security forces from Grissom Air Reserve Base, Dukes Hospital EMS, Miami County EMA, the Bunker Hill Police Department, and Montgomery Aviation.