September 13, 2013

Logansport firefighter charged with OWI

Incident involves hit-and-run and rollover.

by Mitchell Kirk Pharos-Tribune

---- — WALTON — A Logansport firefighter was arrested Tuesday afternoon on three charges, including operating a vehicle while intoxicated, in an incident that involved a hit-and-run and eventually resulted in a rollover, according to records from the Cass County Sheriff’s Department.

Sheriff Deputy Brad Craven states in a report he was dispatched to Walton at 700 East and Ind. 218 at 3:51 p.m. Tuesday for a silver pickup truck that had struck the trailer of a car towing two motorcycles.

Craven goes on to state that Walton Police Deputy Jeff Packard, who was first on the scene, advised that a witness said she was driving behind the silver pickup and saw it hit the trailer. He was then told by the witness that the car with the trailer, driven by Michael Owens, pulled over, while the truck continued and increased its speed.

At 3:59 p.m., Craven was dispatched to 700 East just south of 250 South for a silver pickup truck that had flipped on its side and top in the middle of the road, according to the report.

Robert D. Grisez, 42, Peru, was found standing next to the truck with dried blood on his face and legs, the report goes on to state.

Rural/Metro medics who arrived on the scene examined Grisez, cleaned the blood and determined hospitalization was not necessary.

Craven then states he noticed a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from Grisez and that his eyes appeared to be bloodshot. He added Grisez told him he had been drinking beer at a friend’s house in Walton.

Grisez’s breath analysis resulted in a breath alcohol content reading of .14, according to the report.

Grisez was arrested on charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated, failing to stop at a property damage accident and driving at a speed greater than reasonable and prudent.

No other injuries were reported.

A report filed by Packard states the tailgate of the trailer being hauled by Owens bent inward during the collision and damaged the rear ends of both motorcycles.

Logansport Fire Chief Mark Strong said he is addressing the situation with the Logansport Board of Public Works and Safety and City Attorney Randy Head.

“There will be some kind of disciplinary action,” Strong said, adding that it would likely be a suspension.