by Mitchell Kirk Pharos-Tribune
---- — A former first sergeant with the Logansport Police Department’s drug task force has rejoined the department as a patrolman after working for a period for the U.S. Department of State.
Shawn Heishman first started at the LPD in 1997 and resigned in 2011 as a first sergeant in charge of the department’s drug task force to take a position with the U.S. Department of State, where he spent time overseas working in anti-terrorism training.
The Logansport native enlisted in the U.S. Army after graduating from high school.
“After that, this seemed like the next step, the next progression,” he said of joining the LPD after leaving the military.
Heishman said returning to his roots and allowing his two teenagers to return to theirs motivated him to make the move back and rejoin the LPD.
“I enjoy the city,” he said. “It’s a great place to raise children. It was a no-brainer to come back.”
Logansport Assistant Police Chief Mike Morphet said Heishman brings the department up to 39 patrolmen.
“Our patrol shifts will be filled out for the first time in at least a year,” he said.
Morphet added the department also currently has a recruit undergoing training at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. He said the annexation of territories south of the city recently approved by city council could require the hiring of another patrolman.
The Logansport Board of Public Works and Safety approved Heishman’s hiring as a probationary patrolman Wednesday morning.
In other news, the board also:
• Approved Public Works Superintendent Dan Williams’ report, which stated work would begin on the railroad crossing on 18th Street north of Main Street at 9 a.m. Monday. Williams said it will take two to four days.
• Approved Logansport Building Commissioner Bill Drinkwine’s report, which stated Virginia Cooke, owner of 210 S. Sixth St., will be appearing before the Logansport Board of Zoning Appeals this month to establish a plan on a shared wall on the property that will become an exterior wall after the building is demolished.
• Approved promotions of Scott Jones to captain and Bryon Nipple to assistant mechanic at the Logansport Fire Department.
• Ordered cleanups at the properties of 109 Ottawa St., 2208 E. Broadway, 2210 E. Broadway, 1020 N. Sixth St., 200 Tacoma St. and 1925 E. Market St.
• Cleared code violations at the properties of 204 Ottawa St., 420 Bartlett St., 2200 E. Broadway, 1205 North St. and 1216 Spear St.