Pharos-Tribune

August 25, 2013

Cass approves $16K for culvert replacement

New bridge will eliminate weight restriction.

by Mitchell Kirk Pharos-Tribune
Pharos-Tribune

---- — The Cass County Highway Department is preparing to replace a culvert north of Logansport that will allow heavier vehicles to drive over it.

Cass County Commissioners awarded Grade A Excavating & Bulldozing LLC’s $16,500 bid at a recent meeting. Cass County Highway Superintendent Jeff Smith said the Logansport-based company will start on the culvert, located on Indian Creek Road just south of 400 North, in the next six weeks.

Smith said the two pipes that currently make up the culvert will be replaced by one large pipe that will allow heavier vehicles to drive over it. The part of Indian Creek Road that crosses the culvert it is currently limited to 15 tons.

“Our goal is to put something in there that’s not going to be weight restricted,” Smith said. “...It’s always more desirable to have one pipe.”

The need for the project stems from bridge inspections conducted throughout the county earlier this summer by USI Consultants out of Indianapolis, Smith continued. The Indiana Department of Transportation requires the inspections every year.

The $16,500 to Grade A will be for the removal of the current culvert and installation of the new one and doesn’t include the cost of the structure itself, which will be about $68,000, Smith went on to say. He said the grand total for the project will be about $100,000.

Smith said the highway department will be using some of its own labor force on the project to save money, but that it requires more resources than what it has.

“It’s a little bigger than what our equipment can handle,” he said.

Smith said the next step is properly timing the project, as he does not want the work to interrupt any crop harvesting being done near the culvert.

A portion of Indian Creek Road will be closed throughout the duration of the project, Smith continued, adding that he expects it to take about a month. He said a detour will be available while work is under way.

Mitchell Kirk is a staff reporter at the Pharos-Tribune. He can be reached at 574-732-5130 or mitchell.kirk@pharostribune.com.