Pharos-Tribune

November 27, 2012

Southeastern prepares to choose superintendent

Board planned to reach consensus on candidate, close deal Dec. 17

by Caitlin Huston
Pharos-Tribune

WALTON — The Southeastern school board is set to choose a new superintendent at its Dec. 17 meeting.

During an executive session Monday night, the board was set to discuss the interviews that had been conducted and then come to a consensus on who would be offered a contract. Superintendent John Bevan said the board would not vote on the offer until Dec. 17.

Bevan, who has been the superintendent for 14 years, has announced his plans to retire in June.

Board president Ian Jay said the board would essentially build consensus at its executive session Monday night for who members believe to be the best candidate.

“What we’ll do is discuss our impressions of the interview process,” Jay said.

The board did not vote Monday night because the final decision must be made at an open meeting after terms of the contract have been finalized, Jay said.

Bevan said the board planned to hammer out those terms at an open meeting after Monday’s executive session. The board then planned to go over the contract terms with its selected candidate and agree on a final version before advertising the proposed contract and seeking feedback at a public meeting.

Only after completing those steps could the board extend a formal offer, Bevan said. It planned to do that in advance of the meeting on Dec. 17, he said.

Though the board members had not discussed the candidates before Monday’s meeting, Jay said he believed the group would be able to choose a new superintendent that night.

“I think we’ll have a very strong idea tonight,” he said.  

Caitlin Huston is a staff reporter for the Pharos-Tribune. She can be reached at 574-732-5148 or caitlin.huston@pharostribune.com.