Pharos-Tribune

March 15, 2013

No criminal charges in gunfire case

Prosecutor says evidence doesn't support crime.

by Caitlin Huston
Pharos-Tribune

LOGANSPORT — No criminal charges will be filed in the case of a Galveston home struck by gunfire in April 2012, according to Cass County Prosecutor Kevin Enyeart.

Pam Hight’s home on the South Sycamore Street was struck April 14, 2012, by bullets which narrowly missed her daughter and 5-year-old granddaughter. Though the bullets were determined to have come from a weapon fired a mile away during a gun shoot, Enyeart said they did have enough evidence for criminal charges.

Two bullets were found lodged in a door frame inside Hight’s residence, while the second settled in the drywall upstairs, according to police reports. The first shot reportedly almost hit the mother and daughter.

Enyeart said the Cass County Sheriff’s Department ran tests on the .308-caliber bullets and determined that they originated from a gun fired more than a mile away at a gun shoot sponsored by the Down by the Tracks gun store in Galveston.

Examining evidence collected by the sheriff’s department and other police agencies since April, Enyeart said he did not find proof beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime was committed.

“We came to the conclusion that we were not going to file charges at this time,” Enyeart said.

The examination included looking into charges for the gun store owners as well as participants in the gun shoot. There were 60 to 70 people reported at the shoot, according to police.

“We looked at every potential person,” Enyeart said.

Bullet holes were also reported at a neighbor’s house, where a bullet was determined to have traveled through the garage and struck the Chevrolet inside. Two additional bullet holes were reported in neighbor’s fence.

Last week, Enyeart said he presented the evidence to Hight and her daughter, as well as to the neighbors.

“The families are aware of and understand our decision,” Enyeart said.

Hight said she and her neighbors were discussing the possibility of filing a civil suit.

Harley Cardwell, son of the owner of the store, said he could not discuss the case. The store’s lawyer, Larry Hansen of Noblesville, could not be reached for comment.

Enyeart added that he still has five years to file charges — until April 2017 — so charges could be filed in the future, if new evidence is reached.

“There is a possibility we could re-open this investigation,” Enyeart said.

However, at the Sheriff’s Department, Detective Dale Campbell, who has led the investigation, said they don’t have any current leads.

“I’m going to say that the case is closed,” Campbell said.

Caitlin Huston is a staff reporter of the Pharos-Tribune. She can be reached at 574-732-5148 or caitlin.huston@pharostribune.com.

For more on this story and other local news, subscribe to The Pharos-Tribune eEdition, or our print edition