Pharos-Tribune

February 27, 2014

Up in smoke: Little left after early-morning house fire

Fire destroys Cass County home early Wednesday

By Amie Sites Pharos-Tribune
Pharos-Tribune

---- — Local firefighters spent several hours fighting a fire that began early Wednesday morning in Cass County. No one was injured in the fire that eventually claimed a residence at 3876 S. 175 West in Cass County.

Firefighters with the Clinton Township Volunteer Fire Department at Clymers received a call to respond to the fire around at 3:45 a.m. Wednesday.

At this time it is believed a corn-burning stove started the fire, Gary Michael, fire chief with the Clinton Township Fire Department said. The fire started in the exhaust tube that was connected to the chimney, Michael said.

The wind and cold temperatures caused problems for firefighters. The water froze quickly due to cold temperatures and though the truck was OK in the weather, the valves on the tanker froze, Michael said.

The stove was located on the southwest side of the house and once the fire got into the attic of the house, the wind spread the fire rapidly.

By the time firefighters arrived on scene, the fire had gotten into the attic and they couldn’t get to where they needed to get.

Firefighters had to call for extra tankers. Logansport Fire Department, Cass County Fire District, Burrows Fire Department, Rockfield Fire Department and New Waverly Fire Department assisted at the site.

Rural/Metro ambulance service also responded by sending a truck to the house.

Residents Jack Beauchamp and his wife were home at the time of the fire. The house had smoke alarms that went off and alerted them there was a problem, Michael said. Both Beauchamp and his wife got out of the house without injury.

The sidewalls of the house are still standing and the first floor of the house is still intact, but the roof is gone.

The extent of damage isn't known at this point, but the house is pretty well totaled, Michael said.

Amie Sites is a staff reporter at the Pharos-Tribune. She can be reached at 574-732-5117 or amie.sites@pharostribune.com. Follow her: @PharosAES.