Pharos-Tribune

June 8, 2014

PUBLIC FORUM: Letters for Sunday, June 8, 2014


Pharos-Tribune

---- — Thankful for finding the problem early

I would like to express my deepest appreciation to Brad Wilkinson, of Wilkinson Heating Co., for finding a gas leak in my home that could have been catastrophic. He came to my home to work on an air conditioner condensation problem, but when I opened the door for him, the first thing he said to me was, “I smell gas.”

I could smell nothing. It’s a combination of living in the environment, along with bad sinuses and old age. Brad told me that he’d work on the condensation problem later, but he knew that I had a natural gas leak somewhere in the house. He said his first priority was to locate the source of the gas smell.

He checked the oven connections and found nothing. We went into the basement and he discovered a gas connection next to the furnace that was leaking pretty badly.The copper connection was black, he said, indicating that it could have already caught fire at some time flaring and going out.

The leak could very easily have caused an explosion. Since the leak was very close to the furnace, it wouldn’t have been hard to ignite. There have been many explosions caused by the same problem that Brad had located.

I just wonder how many other people are in the same situation, with gas leaks and not able to smell it. Natural gas does have a distinct odor, but you’ve got to have a lot better ability to detect it than I do. We hear of gas explosions all of the time caused by exactly the problem that I had.

It’s a good thing that I had a condensation problem, or the gas would have continued to leak until who knows what would have happened. It’s also a good thing that Brad has a keen ability to detect the natural gas odor.

The gas leak could potentially have resulted in an explosion that could have leveled my home, and even damaged other homes in my normally peaceful neighborhood. The reality of that really didn’t hit home until after Brad had left. The more I think of it, the more I remember the news reports of explosions in other cities that have been linked to natural gas leaks.

Fortunately for me, Brad was the right person in the right place at the right time. I now believe there was a reason why my condensate pump was not working. Thanks very much, Brad. Who knows what could have happened if you hadn’t arrived at the right time.

Dave Long

Logansport

VA scandal another sign change is needed

It looks like the VA scandal is honing in on the government employees as being a large part of the problem. Really? People are a problem? Shame, shame, shame on any public servant who puts “self” before “service.”

From entry level to management, they should all be fired.

Whose money have they been stealing through their fraud? Yours! These criminals work for you!

Turn the hospitals over to private business. Public government is an incompetent public business.

But wait, there’s more. These are VA government employees. What about IRS government employees? NSA? CIA? EPA? Big government is corrupt and wasting your tax money, regardless of the agency. ‘Cause that’s what they do. Vote for those who loudly and proudly promise to bring big government down to their knees to serve the public, like “public servants.”

Pat Harvey

Peru

Family thankful for help in a difficult time

The family of Paul R. Miller would like to thank Dr. Kaul and staff, and the Gentiva Hospice Group, for all their loving care and concern for Paul especially the last four months of his life.

Thanks to Rev. Phillips and Father Dominic for the lovely eulogy and to Kyle Rans and his staff for all their help. To all our friends and relatives who gave so much love and support at our most difficult time, a big thank you. Thanks for all the food, cards, flowers and donations. They meant so much to all of us.

We sincerely thank each and every one of you.

Wilma C. Miller

Royal Center

Kindness of many will never be forgotten

The family of Jeff Ford wishes to thank Logansport Police Department, Logansport Fire Department, Cass County Medics and Logansport Emergency Room for the heartfelt effort you showed us.

We also would like to thank Braun Chrysler for their generosity, Cass County E911 Central Dispatch for the flowers and food, and everyone who took time to say a prayer, send a card or flowers or took time to call and let us know you were thinking of us, it was greatly appreciated and the kindness will never be forgotten.

The Ford family