Pharos-Tribune

Community News Network

April 17, 2013

Video shows possible Boston bomb suspect

BOSTON — Federal investigators reported Wednesday they have viewed video of a possible suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings that shows the person totting a heavy black bag into the finish line area and perhaps dropping it there.

They said they were close to identifying the individual but firmly denied media reports that they had made an arrest. The video apparently shows the bag at the site of the explosion that occurred 12 seconds after the first bomb went off. Three people were killed and 176 injured.

Based on remnants of the bombs at the crime scene, officials said the explosives appeared to have been hidden in black duffel bags or backpacks, and left about 100 yards apart in the areas cordoned off for spectators.

They said the bombs were comprised of nails, ball bearings and other small metal objects sealed in common kitchen pressure cookers that were either timed to explode or remotely detonated. Once they discharged, the encased projectiles sprayed scores of people, causing death, loss of limbs and many other major injuries.

A spokesman for Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino said that a surveillance camera at the Lord & Taylor department store across from the second bomb site was the "best source of video so far" in identifying who perpertrated the carnage. But officials would not say if that was the video that contained the image of the possible bag-carrying suspect.

Investigators have pored, frame-by-frame, through hundreds of photos and video taken by security cameras, television stations and spectators since the bombings Monday afternoon that President Obama called an "act of terrorism."

Obama will attend a special interfaith prayer service for the victims at 11 a.m. Thursday at Boston's Cathedral of the Holy Cross. It will be the fourth time in the past several months he has been present for such an event, the most recent being the Newtown, Conn., school massacre.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Community News Network
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Poll

The Pence administration continues to cut Indiana agency budgets despite a state surplus of $2 billion. Is this wise management of state funds?

Yes
No
Not sure
     View Results
Featured Ads
AP Video
Death Penalty Expert: 'This is a Turning Point' House Committee at Odds Over Obama Lawsuit Raw: MH17 Victim's Bodies Arrive in Netherlands Raw: UN School Used As Shelter Hit by Tank Shell Raw: Gunmen Attack Iraqi Prison Convoy Plane Leaves Ukraine With More Crash Victims The Rock Brings Star Power to Premiere Raw: Families Travel to Taiwan Plane Crash Site Arizona Execution Takes Almost Two Hours Gen. Odierno Discusses Ukraine, NATO at Forum Gaza Fighting Rages Amid Cease-Fire Efforts Mint Gives JFK Coin a Face-lift Creative Makeovers for Ugly Cellphone Towers Ariz. Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began Crash Kills Teen Pilot Seeking World Record LeBron James Sends Apology Treat to Neighbors Raw: Funeral for Man Who Died in NYPD Custody Migrants Back in Honduras After US Deports Israeli American Reservist Torn Over Return
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.