My computer desktop, littered with its many files and folders, is a scary place. There’s so much stuff scattered everywhere that I don’t remember where all of it came from actually.
And I’ll admit it. I’m addicted to the Post-It Note feature on my computer. You can create virtual notes instead of having them strung all over your desk. The problem is, you compile so many notes that they’re stacked on top of each. And once that happens, you never know what you’ll find hiding in there.
Well, today, I got to cleaning out the virtual stack. When I’m having a bad day, I clean. I’m weird like that. I have this philosophy that cleaning your personal living space will help clean your inner space.
While cleaning, I found a note that had only a web link pasted into it. I wondered what it was and why I kept it, so I clicked on it. It pulled up a webpage with “The World’s Happiest Facts.” Of all the times in my life that I could use some happy, this was it. So I put the cleaning on hold and got to reading.
I'm glad I did. I needed that dose of happiness today, and thought maybe there were others out there who need some happy, too. So, I thought I’d share my favorites from the list.
(To be clear, I don’t have any idea if these facts are actual facts or not. I just know they put a smile on my face, and that’s a fact.)
• The voice of Mickey Mouse and the voice of Minnie Mouse got married in real life. Wayne Allwine and Russi Taylor were inseparable, and were married for 18 years at the time of Allwine's passing.
That makes me want to go to Disney World.
• Astronaut Eugene Andrew Cernan promised his daughter he’d write her initials on the moon. He did, and “TDC” will be on the moon for tens of thousands of years.
Someone wrote my name in the snow once. Seems I should have been shooting for the moon instead.
• A group of flamingos is called a flamboyance.
What is there not to like about this fact?
• When you were born, you were, for however brief an amount of time, the youngest person on the planet.
Well, my mom always did tell me I was special.
• Turtles can breathe through their butt.
I wanted to know how this worked but was too afraid to type the words into a Google search.
• Alexander Graham Bell originally wanted people to greet each other on the phone by saying “ahoy!” instead of “hello!”
To the person who talked him out of this, you have my sincerest gratitude.
• Squirrels forgetting where they put their acorns results in thousands of new trees each year.
OK, that’s just nuts. (I apologize for that one.)
• Worms communicate with one another by snuggling.
That’s gross, but aww.
• Penguins only have one mate their entire life and “propose” by giving their mate a pebble. They work hard on finding the best pebble and give it to their lady friend.
It’s convenient they don’t have to buy a tuxedo for the wedding.
• Cows have best friends.
There is actual science behind this. No lie. Some scientists got together and studied it, finding the cows were stressed when away from their best friend.
• Cows produce the most milk when listening to the song “Everybody Hurts” by REM.
I didn’t investigate the science behind this one. I choose to just believe it.
Misty Knisely is managing editor of the Pharos-Tribune. She can be reached at 574-732-5155 or at email@example.com