December 17, 2013

3 arrested after 2 gunfire incidents

Usher Street shooting leads to gang activity, other charges

by Mitchell Kirk

---- — Two men and a juvenile were arrested early Tuesday morning for charges stemming from gunfire that took out a house window and a stop sign in Logansport.

Shortly after 8 p.m. Monday, Logansport Police officers responded to a call on the 1900 block of Usher Street in reference to glass breaking, a press release from the police department states.

After further investigation, officers determined the house had been shot with a shotgun.

Residents of the house could not be reached for comment Monday afternoon.

William Wade, who lives in the area, said he heard "one big boom" at about 8 p.m. Monday night.

"I thought somebody might've hit something or threw something and it hit something," Wade said. "It sounded louder than a gunshot."

The press release goes on to state that shortly after the incident on Usher Street, officers were called to the intersection of West Linden Avenue and North Cicott Street — about 2 1/2 miles away — in reference to more gunfire.

Margaret Hayden, who lives in the area, said she was sitting in her enclosed front porch when she heard what sounded like a gunshot and headed inside. She said her position on the porch did not allow her to see the intersection where the shooting was reported.

"I just heard one shot a little after 8," Hayden said, adding that police arrived shortly after.

Hayden went on to say she saw workers replacing a stop sign at the intersection Monday afternoon.

Logansport Superintendent of Public Works Dan Williams confirmed the city street department replaced the stop sign and that it appeared to have been shot with a shotgun.

An investigation continued into the early morning hours Tuesday and uncovered information regarding suspects involved, the press release goes on to state.

A search warrant was obtained for a residence on the 600 block of Wheatland Avenue, about two blocks from where the second incident of gunfire was reported. The Logansport Police Department Tactical Team and Crisis Negotiation Team responded.

"Officers were able to establish communication with the suspects involved and they surrendered to the tactical team without incident," the press release states.

The press release goes on to state that at this time, a 17-year-old juvenile was arrested on charges of attempted criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon and conducting criminal gang activity. The juvenile was transported to the Kinsey Youth Center in Kokomo.

Two other arrests were made in connection to the incidents. Kelyn Holly, 24, Logansport, is being held in the Cass County Jail with $100,000 cash and $500,000 surety bond on charges of conducting criminal gang activity, criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon and intimidation, according to the press release.

Keyvin Holly, 24, Logansport, was arrested on charges of conducting criminal gang activity and attempted criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon. He is also being held on $100,000 cash bond and $500,000 surety, the press release states.

Logansport Police Chief Mike Clark and Logansport Assistant Police Chief Bryan Hillis could not be reached Monday afternoon for comment.

Mitchell Kirk is a staff reporter at the Pharos-Tribune. He can be reached at 574-732-5130 or Follow him: @PharosMAK